In a message dated 6/26/00 2:08:06 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<  a fewmore, personal and opinionated to be sure, but whatever works-

 > 1. Prestige of Printed Medium: If authors think they have a
 > reallyearth-shaking discovery, they will try to get into one of the
 > important general-coverage publications such as the Wall Street Journal or
 > New York Times.
 Generally the medical schools/research institute have a PR team who will
help try to get publicity in the general coverage media.  The major journals
have "rules/guidelines" which attempt to control the release of this
information to the general public.........the material is generallly not
published in general media until the publication date of the major scientific
journal (the journals may also help with this media coverage).  The time
between submission to a publication date can be several months....there are
peer reviews to complete, proofs to approve, editing, etc.

For remainder of comments re: number of authors, in vitro lab advances, etc.
I agree with Ray Strand's comments.....the institution/granting agency may be
part of the determining factor as to how authors are listed.  Each granting
agency has own guidelines/rules.

Seed money grants on occasion provide unrecognized authors the ability to
publish basic research...this does not indicate that the research in not
significant.

Rita Weeks  55/10
(Husband is research scientist)