"J. R. Bruman" wrote:

> Linda J Herman wrote:
> >
> > .... for pointing out the importance of evaluating  sources  of
> > information. For those interested, this is from a guide for evaluating
> > Medline (PubMed, GratefulMed)  abstracts  from the National Library of
> > Medicine (I substituted examples of abstracts on PD):
> > Guide to Medline Abstracts :Three Clues to look for:
>
> And thanks to you, Linda, for these very helpful hints. Here are
> a few
> more, personal and opinionated to be sure, but whatever works-

I was out at the barn,
in the furniture studio
my fingere poised on the ON button
of my brand new heavy duty planer
never been used
had to get the place wired for 220 V

and i thought of you

and my opinionated message about research
then
i realized how it seems right from a different perspective

the view point of a "corporate" scientist

a place where collaboration for "intellectual property"  has dollar signs
and institutional support is of  a different sort
and the observations you've made are accurate
drumming up publicity makes sense
to flush out stock investors
to produce a product
or just to do more
research

i apologize for not getting it  8--(

my time as an oncocytogenetic lab tech
was at three universities
it wasn't just "pure" research
some highly specialized clinical sample processing
to help pay the bills

never did push the ON button on my planer
not ready yet

> 1. Prestige of Printed Medium: If authors think they have a
> really earth-shaking discovery, they will try to get into one of the
> important general-coverage publications such as the Wall Street Journal or
> New York Times. Next level, one of the two big-time science news weeklies:
> Science (US), or Nature (UK). Failing that, one of the medical
> weekly journals (more or less in order of priority); Lancet,
> British Medical Journal, New England Journal of Medicine, Western
> Journal of Medicine, JAMA. JAMA is big on social and political
> issues, not so much on pure science. After that, one of the big
> professional society journals such as Neurology or Annals of Neurology.  After
> those come the myriad of very respectable but specialized journals: Movement
> Disorders,
> Clinical Neuro-pharmacology, etc.
> 2. Prestige of Author: If he's a well-known big shot, he may be the sole
> author. Not always true, but if there is a crowd of listed authors, thay
> sometimes suggests that the research was more or less of a class project,
> giving opportunity to "get something published", or to attend one
> of the big symposia in, say, Rio de Janeiro or Bermuda.
> 3. Cost of Research Resources: People early in their science
> careers may be assigned research based only upon already published
> statistical data.
> Then they may graduate to in vitro lab experiments; As success
> grows, they will be able to obtain grants for animal experiments,
> starting with mice. By the time a scientist is able to test his theories
> on human subjects, he has "arrived", and you may assume a
> corresponding increase in likelihood that he has something important to say.
> There now exists an actual rating scheme for authors, articles, and
> journals, based upon the number of times a given item is cited as a
> reference in articles subsequently published. Obviously, authors and journals
> depend on this for their own continued success.
>
> Cheers,
> Joe
>
> --
> J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
> 3527 Cody Road
> Sherman Oaks, CA 91403-501

                    Ray Strand
     mailto:[log in to unmask]
            48/47 dx/40 ?onset

...on the edge of the prairie abyss ......................