I agree with all - the forum was an incredible experience.  I am adding a
few more details, and will leave it to other attendees to continue the
story -- I think we are all too tired to type very much today.

The highlights for me were
 - meeting all the list members who were there, and meeting other
wonderful PD advocates from all over the country. The spirit of caring
and cooperation and support for each other energized us  throughout the 3
days.
  -  being able to thank Michael J. Fox personally for all he has done
(and receiving a hug in reply!) He took the time to say hello to every
person at the Awards Dinner individually.
    - hearing reports on research by leading scientists. Especially
exciting was the Department of Defense Neurotoxin Exposure Treatment
Research Program - which is studying neurodegenerative disease causes and
treatments, with a speical emphasis on PD. This program is in addition to
the research funded by the NIH.

BUT we also learned that currently only about 25% of grant applications
get funded, and it is very difficult for young researchers with novel
ideas to receive funding by the NIH.More funding is needed to run the
necessary clinical trials that could translate the  basic science
research into better treatments and finally a cure. As one researcher
pointed out - all the clinical research for diseases like AIDS has
resulted in doctors being able to presecribe the optimal "cocktail" of
available medications.  More research could also someday bring us past
the current "trial and error" method of drug combinations and dosages.

What we all can do to help:  CONTACT YOUR REPRESENTATIVES AND SENATORS.
Many will be in their home districts over the Fourth of July holiday. ASK
THEM TO:

1.Sign the MAloney/Upton (House)  or Cochran/Wellstone (SEnate)letter
calling for an increase of 71.4 million for PD research for FY 2001.

2. Support conference report language that calls for the $71.4 million
increase for PD research specified in the NIH research agenda.

3. Support an increase of $2.7 billion for the NIH toward the goal of
doubling funding by FY 2003.

4.Increase funding for the Department of Defense Neurotoxin Exposure
Treatment Research program by $20 million.

Linda