"Mario A. Gonzalez" wrote:
> Do NOT take MAO Inhibitors when taking Comtan (entacapone); serious
> interactions can occur. There may be other drug interactions; consult your
> doctor for more information.

The info I have says in effect, there are two kinds of MAO, A and
B.
MAO-A is one of the two main defenses against overproduced
epinephrine,
and COMT is the other. Therefore combining an MAO-A inhibitor
(e.g.,
Parnate) with a COMT inhibitor (e.g., Comtan) defeats both
safeguards
and may be risky. However an inhibitor of MAO-B (e.g., Eldepryl),
supposedly because MAO-B acts only within the brain, isn't in
that
category and therefore is safe to combine with a COMT inhibitor
such
as Tasmar or Comtan. See my previously posted note "Inhibiting
The Inhibitors". Cheers,
Joe
Joe

--