Dear Perry,
First, I am sorry to hear about your accident, and glad no one was hurt
worse. I am also a young pd'er, dx'd age 39, 1997.  When I first started
Mirapex, I had a reaction where my hands swelled to abnormal sizes at night
(to the point the skin would split open). Fortunantely that stopped
relatively quickly, but I have had the same problems with falling asleep
that you describe. I call them "sleep attacks" because it is not a normal
"I'm kinda sleepy, I'm a little sleepier, I'm falling asleep" type scenerio.
  It's I feel sleepy, bam, I'm asleep.  I have driven for 25 years, and over
120,000 miles per year, and NEVER had a problem staying awake until I got on
the mirapex.  I fell asleep driving twice before I figured out what the
problem was. Now I can feel the "sleep attacks" coming on, and I pull over
IMMEDIATELY.  They are not something you can say, well,"I'm only 5 min from
the house etc" with, I have to stop the min I feel one coming on.  Usually I
will sleep about 15 min and be fine, but I don't drive until the feeling has
totally passed away. I wish I could describe it for you, but other than to
say it doesn't feel like a "normal I'm tired" and it does feel like "I'm
falling asleep", I really can't describe it any better.
I hope this helps some, and wish you the best of luck
bob aka tex