Dear Friends,
Here is an article that ran last Saturday , the morning of the open house.
I post it for those that may not receive the Eastside Journal.
Bill
Parkinson's center opens in Kirkland: - Named in honor of former Gov.
Gardner, the center will offer `holistic' treatment
2000-06-24
by Elizabeth Williams
Journal Reporter
KIRKLAND -- Evergreen Hospital's new Booth Gardner Parkinson's Care Center,
touted as only the second center in the nation to offer ``holistic''
treatment, will open its doors to patients July 3.
The 5,000-square-foot center, named after the former Washington governor who
has Parkinson's, specializes in providing support for family members and
caregivers as well patients.
``We formed the partnership with Evergreen because we have similar theories
on care,'' said Bill Bell, executive director and co-founder of the
Northwest Parkinson's Foundation. Four member's of Bell's family have
Parkinson's disease, and it was his experiences in seeking treatment for
them that led him to create the foundation a year and a half ago.
The center will feature both traditional and alternative therapies.
Patients will have access to family counseling, individual therapy,
comprehensive assessment programs, nutritionists and physical rehabilitation
physicians. They will also have the opportunity to participate in
alternative treatments including massage, feng shui, tai chi and relaxation
training.
``Our goal is for people to be functionally independent,'' Tony McCormick,
the center's administrative director said.
Input from Parkinson's patients was used to make the center a
Parkinson's-friendly environment.
Many were asked to outline a wish list of what they wanted from a treatment
center. Their suggestions were then forwarded to the design team.
``It's really about patients getting what they need,'' McCormick said.
Although the center is housed at Evergreen Medical Center, the center was
originally NWPF's idea.
Parkinson's disease is a degenerative disease of the brain. As affected
brain cells die, the patient progressively loses muscle control, which can
manifest into visible tremors and joint rigidity. It eventually results in
paralysis and death.
Drugs can hide or suppress the symptoms, but frequently the side effects of
the drugs can be as difficult to manage as the disease itself.
``Education is as big a tool as the therapies themselves,'' Bell said.
``[It] helps patients get over the fear of what they've been diagnosed
with.''
Dennis Wright, 48, of Seattle, has had Parkinson's disease for the past five
years. He looks forward to having all of his various treatments in the same
building.
``All the care I've been getting so far is very exclusive of each other,''
he said. ``As the disease progresses, I'm looking forward to using the
support system they have there.''
The medical staff working at the center was specifically selected by
Evergreen for their experience with neurological movement diseases.
Neurologist Dr. Monique Giroux, the center's medical director, has
specialized in Parkinson's disease for the past four years.
``Over many years dealing with Parkinson's, I have found that you can
receive a higher quality of life from those doctors who specialize in the
disease,'' Bell said.
Elizabeth Williams can be reached at [log in to unmask]
or 425-452-1074.

Bill Bell
Executive Director
Northwest Parkinson's Foundation