        I just finished reading Tania's ethnographical study of Inkshed and quite
enjoyed it. Well done Tania. At the expense of having my message
categorized 8^), I turn to the group for some insights/advice.

        After having worked in a Writing Centre for four years, I now work at
Mount Allison University as its Academic and Career Counsellor. One of my
duties, which I especially enjoy, is teaching a course in studentship for
at-risk students. This fall I will be teaching 34 students, who would
otherwise be on academic suspension if they had not appealed this condition
and been placed in my course, how to be successful students. This topic is
arguably one that can be learned but maybe not taught.

        I believe a sense of community is important in any classroom, but
especially when working with students who have had limited post-secondary
academic success. I was considering incorporating inkshedding into  the
class since I have inkshed in the past and enjoyed the experience.

         Reading Tania's article I was struck by the "negative" comments of some
Inkshedders about the process. In particular, I was struck by the question
of whose voices get privileged, the tension between inkshedding vs
discussion and Lunsford's comments that inkshedding is a solitary and
isolating experience. Are there any thought out there on these perceived
drawbacks of inkshedding?

        I was also struck by Russ' stating "I keep pushing Inkshed to talk about
reading." I'm wondering if Russ could elaborate on this statement.

Cheers,
Ken
Ken Craft, B.A.,M.A., B.Ed.
Academic and Career Counsellor