SENIORS HELPING SENIORS

HAYS, Kan. (July 1, 2000 12:01 a.m. EDT
http://www.nandotimes.com) - Paying the bills. Balancing the
checkbook. Shopping for groceries. Going to the doctor. They all
sound like routine chores, but they can be overwhelming for
seniors with health problems.

For those struggling to accomplish life's daily tasks, the senior
companion program in a nine-county area of west-central Kansas can
help.

The program was one of the first in the nation when it began at
Fort Hays State University 26 years ago. Funded by a federal
grant, the project connects poor, elderly Kansans who can still
get around with those who often need help just to leave home.

It provides a friend for elderly people who need one, plus a small
stipend and other fringe benefits for the companions.

"The whole focus of the program is to get older people on limited
incomes involved in providing services to other frail elderly folk
to help them stay independent," said Jolene Niernberger, the
program's director.

About 150 volunteers have served more than 500 seniors already
this year, Niernberger said.

Among the volunteers are Harold and Annabelle Woodford, who have
been involved with the program for several years. They have been
forced to cut back lately because she has cancer.

Harold Woodford is a companion to Art, an 86-year-old man who is
partially blind and had a knee replaced last year. He and Art go
out for coffee and to the grocery store. He also takes him to the
doctor, to get his hair cut, and for physical therapy.

"We just generally have a good time. We enjoy one another,"
Woodford said.

Annabelle Woodford added: "I'd be hard-pressed to say who has
benefited the most in that. Unfortunately, my condition has
limited him."

He squeezes all that in between taking his wife for chemotherapy
and her own doctors' visits.

"She's been my best friend for over 51 years," he said.

Harold Woodford, 74, has been helping out with cooking, even
making macaroni and cheese from scratch, too, since his wife has
been ill.

"Have you ever burned water? I have," he joked, leaning in a
rocking chair in their ranch-style Hays home.

The companion program also helps them pay medical bills, since not
all treatments are covered by Medicare.

Annabelle Woodford, a white scarf around her head, trying not to
doze because of the medication she's taking, said she still finds
energy to be a companion now and then.

For some, she helps balance checkbooks and pay bills, especially
widows whose husbands always handled the finances. To others, she
just reads the newspaper or a book.

"They're able in their own way. They like to be self-sufficient,"
she said.

At the urging of Sen. Larry Salmans, the state added $25,000 to
the program for the fiscal year beginning July 1.

"I see it as something that could help across the state, what's
really just a good neighbor helping another neighbor," said
Salmans, R-Hanston. "It's going on in a lot of small communities
already, but this is a way to organize it and get people
together."

Niernberger hopes that money can help the program expand beyond
the nine counties where it already operates.

"My hope is at some point, companions could be available
throughout the state," she said. "They're not there to be aides or
nurses. But we can do some simple things on a daily basis."

Annabelle Woodford, 71, used to volunteer at nursing homes anyway,
but a year ago officially became a senior companion.

Pauline Rosebaugh, meanwhile, has been a companion for 18 years,
and her mother was a companion before her.

On a day of her supposed vacation from volunteering, Rosebaugh
stopped to sing the praises of the program. But that was only
after she brought one woman home from the hospital and before she
ran to the grocery store for another.

Rosebaugh, 78, often brings prayer books to encourage people on
her visits. Sometimes she just sits with them, reading or watching
television.

"Big hugs mean a lot," she said. "They love that attention. We're
ones that can love them."

Rosebaugh said she gets lonely on weekends, wondering how everyone
is getting along.

The volunteers said all their efforts pay off in the end.

"The nice thing to me is the old folks have people that make them
feel needed," said Annabelle Woodford. "They have a way of working
themselves into your heart."