At 02:36 PM 2000/07/01 -0700, Carole Hercun <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Dear janet: Unfortunately, I did not know Paige Bremer I
>think she would have been one of my heroes, too. You are so
>eloquent I don't know if what I'm going to say is
>superfluous, but here goes-
>What makes Clinical Depression worse than PD:
>Is the anhedonic, utterly joyless existence it imposes upon
>its victims. Its all about loss. The world loses its color,
>food its taste, friends and family their ability to comfort
>us, lovers their ability to touch us.
>Is the way it has of creeping into our heads and whispering
>to us that we are all alone, that there is no hope and no
>cure and that death is the only answer to the blackness
>inside and out.
>Is the way people can't "see" it, so they can't understand
>it. Healthy people are skeptical of this kind of invisible
>disease. They often view it as a "mental" illness, somehow
>shameful, or a sham, characterized by laziness or a lack of
>character. Those afflicted with CD can't understand how the
>lack of neuro-transmitters in the brain can cause such
>devastation. They become convinced that they are losing
>theirs minds and lose their heart and their will to go on.
>I had one young client tell he knew that "brain chemicals"
>could never be this powerful and that he was afraid that
>the "demons" living in his brain could never be quieted
>with a mere pill.
>Is the ones I have known who have become lost and forfeited
>their lives:
>The 33 year old woman who walked into on-going traffic one
>rainy night on I-95.
>The 14 year old boy who laid down on the railroad tracks in
>front of a train.
>The middle-aged woman who jumped from the 6th floor of the
>mall to the lobby below.
>The single woman who cut herself 400 times with a box
>cutter before she laid down to die.
>Is the fact that Clinical Depression is:
>                   A DISEASE
>                   CURABLE
>                   CONTINUES TO KILL

carole

eloquence is as eloquence does!

maybe imagining one's will to live or one's zest for life
as being 'vulnerable' to small changes in brain chemistry
is a frightening thought to some - a threat of loss of control maybe

however i think the idea of people dying in pain
due to being un-diagnosed and un-treated for a CURABLE illness
far more frightening

jp

janet paterson
53 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
613 256 8340 / PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada
visit my website "a new voice" at: "http://www.geocities.com/janet313/"