My father's oncologist just told us that he could not recommend my dad have
surgery or even a minimally  invasive laporascopic RFA (a new procedure
that has just been FDA approved for liver metastases) if he were to need it
because he says whenever you put a person with a movement disorder under
anesthesia it risks progressing it.  Dad is 81 but in very good condition
for his age (heart, lungs & kidneys) & has excercised just about every day
most of his life and still plays ping pong twice a week for an hour,swims,
walks everyday & drives.  He has a significant tremor in his right arm that
he has not diagnosed yet but is suspected to be PD.  He has decided against
temor medicine at this time because he still does not need it. Dad was
operated on in '98 for colon cancer (stage III with only one lymph node
involved).  He recovered very well from that operation.  It was later when
he got an intestional block due to adhesions from the surgery & was
released out of the hospital too early (in my opinion) by his HMO to a
nursing home where they put him in a room with someone who had pneumonia!
Noone came during the night to his call when his fever went up to 104
degrees to cover him & he almost died of pneumonia before we found out that
morning & got him released (it took all day) to the hospital.  In any case
his PD progressed after that severe fever but I think that was more from
neglect.  He is now living in an independent living apt. in a continuing
care retirement community he loves & where he would be released into an
excellent rahabilitation center if he needs it.  In any case I think this
doctor (he changed to Blue Cross/Blue Shield - he was able to do this since
he is a retired federal employee)is looking for excuses not to order scans
or to look into Dad's rising blood cancer marker (as a second opinion told
us last year to do).  He is a preferred provider with Blue Cross & I
thought this would be a lot better arrangement than the HMO for an older
person but I am beginning to believe he may have certain age/cost guidlines
that effect his choice more than the condition of the person's health.

Any ideas of this would be greatly appreciated.

                                                                        Best wishes to all,
                                                                        Suzanne