Sandra,
I had surgery for 2.5 hours for a ruptured colon.
   I thought I really had gotten over
my PD because I didn't notice my symptoms much, but then
I was in bed for 3 months too, and when I got up my balance
was worse, but I have never had too many hand tremors anyway,
just kept falling!!!
It did take me 14.5 months to heal however, and this was my
4th. major surgery, and the other 3 healed without any problem,
so I'm afraid I do blame PD for the healing delay.

IMOHO, you are better off in the wheelchair until you can get
your balance straightened up.  If a DBS is the answer, then go for it.
I think 20 years of suffering is enough for anyone.

Best of luck to you,
just me,
Marjorie