Perry wrote in part---
>The tragic suicide of 31 year old PD advocate, Paige Bremer
>(http://www.theparkplace.com/) provides a too poignant example of an area of
>basic and clinical research that could benefit from cross Institute
>initiatives
>-- that is the many cognitive and emotional effects of PD and medications. The
>death of this vibrant and charming young woman about to come to the Forum
>reminds us of the high incidence of depression among PWP and the debilitating
>and costly consequences of depression, dementia and other cognitive effects.
>My
>recent attendance at the World Movement Disorder Society (MDS) Congress
>underlined the paucity of research in these areas.SNIPPED
 Problems
>found in locations in the brain and  parts of the nervous system outside the
>motor control areas are associated with cognitive and autonomic nervous system
>problems that often lead to the most serious debilitating and costly effects
>of
>PD (e.g. abnormalities in the nerve endings in the heart are associated with
>orthostatic hypotension).  Further research is necessary to aim new treatment
>and delivery modalities, now targeted primarily at the cardinal motor
>symptoms,
>to cognitive and emotional symptoms.  Gene therapy, imaging technology, and
>clinical trials are all addressed in the NIH PD Research Agenda.  As a tribute
>to Paige and nearly half of patients with cognitive effects, there is a
>compelling need for significant additional specific program emphasis on mental
>health issues in collaborations with NINDS, NIMH and other Institutes.
>
>Perry Cohen
>Washington DC
>"taxation without representation"

I am in total agreement that more research should be targeted on cognitive
and emotional aspects of PD.  Ask any CG for a PWP who is one of the 30%
who has dementia, and you will hear that this is more difficult to deal
with than the motor problems.   We need not be ashamed of this facet of the
designer disease---since the  public acceptance of Alzheimer's  there is no
longer such a stigma attached to dementia of any kind, I believe.  Lewy
Body Dementia , for example,  is almost unknown and there is little help
available for those who have it.  Do we know really how many PWPS suffer
from this?    And if 30-33% OF PWPS HAVE DEMENTIA--THE ACCEPTED FIGURE--
THAT IS HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS !  Right on, Perry!

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 82/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

           on PDWebring at
http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/genugten/flinterm.htm

                        "Ask me about the CARE list for