Ken Aidekman wrote:

>Date:    Thu, 29 Jun 2000 22:43:35 -0400
>From:    Ken Aidekman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: forum thoughts

>Wouldn't it be great if there was a national "Parkinson's Convention"?
>An event in which PWPs, their families, scientists, neurologists,
>advocates and professionals from all the foundations could get together
>and exchange ideas about living with PD and what should be done to
>conquer it.  The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research
>Public Policy Forum is awfully close to becoming that event.
>
>Now if we can only find a way to abbreviate the title.

Ken:

Your concept of the Forum as close to a National PD Convention is right on.
Hang on to that thought. I'd like to see it grow.

Because I was away on vacation until Monday night I attended the Forum
Tuesday only. It was great to see long time friends and meet people in person
that I have corresponded with by email. Since I don't have a Senator, I
assisted Helen Mason from Oregon and Patty Maeglin from Nevada on their
visits to the Hill. This was my 5th Forum and I can say that politically we
have definitely arrived!! With our past successes in advocacy and now the
boost from MJF, Senators made special efforts to meet us personally and even
have their picture taken with us. All said they were strongly supportive of
us.

One Senate staff person wanted to know specifically how the $71.4 M in the
NIH PD research agenda for next year would be funded. I said that short of an
earmark, NINDS could not fund all the increase out of their proposed 15%
increase for FY2001, but that other Institutes represented on the PD
Coordinating Council (NIMH, Aging, Research Resources, etc.) would be
involved in implementing the plan. As a practical matter of relevant
expertise as well as smoothing the distribution of increases over several
Institutes, NIH needs to be more specific about how the plan will be
implemented.  I understand that NIH is forming a small task force including
Jeff Martin, Robin Elliott, and several scientists to track these
implementation issues. In addition I think that the NIH PD Coordination
Council, which is due for a meeting, would be the appropriate venue for
policy discussions on these issues. The results of the more specific
assignments to Institutes are needed to keep our Congressional supporters
informed of progress.

The tragic suicide of 31 year old PD advocate, Paige Bremer
(http://www.theparkplace.com/) provides a too poignant example of an area of
basic and clinical research that could benefit from cross Institute
initiatives
-- that is the many cognitive and emotional effects of PD and medications. The
death of this vibrant and charming young woman about to come to the Forum
reminds us of the high incidence of depression among PWP and the debilitating
and costly consequences of depression, dementia and other cognitive effects.
My
recent attendance at the World Movement Disorder Society (MDS) Congress
underlined the paucity of research in these areas. For example, preliminary
findings of the MDS "Evidence Based Review" of PD treatments found 22 clinical
studies of depression in PD, no class I or II studies and only 2 class III
studies (classes are based on strength of evidence – large, long term, double
blind, randomized, controlled trails are highest, class I). Dopamine agonists
by
contrast had 236 studies with 57 class I studies.

Scientific speakers at the Forum presented promising new techniques (e.g. gene
therapy) for delivery of nerve growth factors to specific targets in the brain
to treat motor system deficits.  Findings presented at the MDS Congress
indicated that more sophisticated imaging technologies could detect deficits
in
dopamine storage as well as production in different parts of the CNS. Problems
found in locations in the brain and  parts of the nervous system outside the
motor control areas are associated with cognitive and autonomic nervous system
problems that often lead to the most serious debilitating and costly effects
of
PD (e.g. abnormalities in the nerve endings in the heart are associated with
orthostatic hypotension).  Further research is necessary to aim new treatment
and delivery modalities, now targeted primarily at the cardinal motor
symptoms,
to cognitive and emotional symptoms.  Gene therapy, imaging technology, and
clinical trials are all addressed in the NIH PD Research Agenda.  As a tribute
to Paige and nearly half of patients with cognitive effects, there is a
compelling need for significant additional specific program emphasis on mental
health issues in collaborations with NINDS, NIMH and other Institutes.

Perry Cohen
Washington DC
"taxation without representation"