Hilary and other "Movers"...

I moved last November 23, leaving my 2 story  home of 18 years (a
3 bedroom 3 bath townhouse with a large, enclosed patio and
attached 2 car garage).

I downsized to a a  first floor unit less than half the size of my
former home and absolutely LOVE it!!!  The setting is unbelievably
lovely, which makes up for the few deficiencies (no garage, and
only one bedroom).  The unit's very comfy and I've had the fun of
remodeling it to my own specifications, making it VERY
Parkie-friendly.

There's one thing I'd recommend to any Parkie who's moving to a
new home:  Decide BEFORE hand where you're going to keep your
glasses, and other personal items  which you  need throughout the
day and evening nd temporarily color code the glasses, and classes
case AND the spot where your glasses will be kept, I.e, I gotta
collared pen set and Velcro and put Velcro "dots" on all three
pairs of glasses,  (reading, tri-focals, and extra-emergency-pair.
I put corresponding velcro patches next to my 'puter,  the sofa,
the bathroom and the kitchen counters and ONLY put my glasses on
one of those color-coded places.

I'm wearing my reading classes and haven;t a clue where I last saw
my Tri-focals, I just check out the places that have a red dot on
them, and the Tri-focals will be at one of the red-dot-color-coded
places.

I've done the same thing with a few other items which I happen to
use several times a day.... items that I always knew resided in
the same places at my previous home which I had instinctively
reached for without giving it a second thought.

Being able to easily pin-point (mind you, I said "easily," NOT
"always"!) <grin> things like my glasses meant I could keep a lid
my frustration level MOST of the time while the contractor piddled
around, royally screwing up first one thing, then another.

Another thing that'll help keep your frustration level under
control it to (if you're planning on doing this) is to have your
closets professionally compartmentalized BEFORE you move in. if
possible, or, baring that (I know not everyone's gonna do a
"closet number," but I needed to squeeze out as much space as is
possible, because I didn't originally have a lotta storage places.

NOW there's three times as many closets/shelves as had been when I
first moved in.  PLUS, my fridge is in the hallway outside the
kitchen door (no one KNOWS there's a fridge there it I don't wanna
tell 'em, and since the kitchen's so compact and well put
together, no one even notices the lack of a fridge in the
kitchen..  Backing up to the fridge-closet is my wee office (24
inches deep and 41 inches wide by 8 feet high).  There's venting
between the puter and fridge to allow for changes in room-temp.

Keep an open mind on what can be done with your new home!  And
don't turn up you nose at any decorating suggestions from friends
or your kids.  a just never know who's mind waxes creative....
<smile>

OH RATS!  Here it is, pushing 1:00 a.m. and I'm still at the
keyboard.  Well, you're all used to my late nite
unspell-checked-ramblings <smile>

Barb Mallut