I believe we need to think critically about reports about Comtan and
the importance of its effects, and to consider alternatives.

I took a look at the label information approved by the FDA for
Comtan.  It is at

http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/label/1999/20796LBL.PDF

Three studies are cited.  In so far as I am able to understand the
results, they indicate that patients on Sinemet who have about 10
hours of "on" time per day without Comtan can on the average
expect to have a total "on" time increase per day of slightly more
than one hour by taking Comtan.

Two news items regarding Comtan posted at the NPF web site
report on two of  these studies. They are at

http://www.parkinson.org/texthtms/tcom.htm and
http://www.parkinson.org/texthtms/tcom2.htm.

According to the news items, the studies of Comtan demonstrate a
"significant increase in daily 'on' time".  The quantity of the
increase is not given.

The word "significant" can be misleading.  When used in a
statistical context, it denotes a difference that is greater than could
be accounted for by mere chance.  Statistical significance has a
precise mathematical definition.

Outside the statistical context, "significant" means "important", a
meaning which is much less precise and quite different.

It is easy to slip from one meaning to the other, and the NPF news
items facililtate this.  They summarize the study results in
apparently popular language while retaining the statistical
terminology.  This will change "significant" to "important" in the
mind of the reader.  I would guess that this was not intentional.

By the way, if the increase is "significant," wouldn't it be worth
saying what it is?

One more hour per day may be statistically significant but is it all
that important?  Can't the same results can be achieved by a slight
increase in the frequency of Sinemet doses and/or by tighter
control of dose vs. meal schedules and limiting of dietary fat and
protein?

These are questions that I think ought to be raised with one's
doctor.

Phil Tompkins
Amherst, Mass
age 62/dx 1990