Hi All!
Stop looking for that man Gerrit Kleynscheldt!
I am he.
Thank you for your concern.  My E-mail address has changed - it is now
I rejoined this mailing list about a week ago, where I have been lurking,
until getting myself so far to make active contact with you all.
My story is currently a sad one.  A short sinopsis follows.
After 12 years service with my employer and diagnosed with PD 6 years ago at
the age of 39, my employer seemed fit to disregard my two applications for
disability and decided rather to retrench me.  In this country there is no
Government subsidy to speak of and I have to battle to stay afloat -
currently losing the battle slowly.
My former employer has offered me a cash lump sum (very little if compared
to the disability income I would/could/should have received).  This lump sum
will only be paid if I sign an agreement of reticence and cancelling all
further attempts to have disabilty granted.  The option that I do have is to
take the employer to court - an espensive route to follow if the outcome is
uncertain.
Very much a dead end street and suicide crosses the mind often.
I believe that all Parkies become fairly similar with the effects of PD
and/or the medication.  We procrastinate, bad news affects us tremendously
and motivation, ambition etc flies out the back door.  We are therefore
suckers for any employer to mess with and we become the flotsam of the
world.
Does anyone know of any studies that compare the effects of PD with the
psychomatic (also depression etc) effects to determine if such a person is
able/not able to do work?
When it goes well with me it goes very well and my sense of humour and my
firm belief in God carries me forward.  Added to this I have an exceptional
marriage, with a wife - named Alta -  that supports where needed and lets me
battle when she thinks fit.  The marriage is 23 years old and we are best of
friends.  My two children - my son Anton is 19 and my daughter Marike is
16 - are also supportive and we have an excellent rapport.
My biggest - and only - problem is financial.  I would tackle anything PD
throws at me if I can be ensured that there is a roof over my head for me
and my family.
Regards - you will hear more from me soon.

Gerrit Kleynscheldt
Tel: +27 21 945 1233
Fax: +27 21 945 1235
082 4593 082