>John, thank you for advising us of this potential problem.
>
>It seems desirable to clarify this, not only for my sake but also for the
>list.  Please advise if his is not correct:
>
>According to the article, the vulnerability is in Outlook, not in Explorer.

"Corporate users aren't affected by the security hole. But home users,
running Microsoft's Outlook or Outlook Express e-mail programs, are at
risk."

>However, if one has Explorer installed on their computer, thanks to Bill
>Gates' largesse, and uses it as a browser, it is not possible for one to
>get into Outlook by going to "mail" through a drop-down menu and maybe
>otherwise?

"Microsoft's Culp said the problem component is actually in Internet
Explorer, and the company suggests that users upgrade to Internet Explorer
version 5.01 Service Pack 1, which can be found free on Microsoft's Web
site."

The defect is in the browser which allows the email program (Outlook or
Outlook Express) receiving mail to exploit. I had already installed the
Service Pack before this new problem was announced.

[log in to unmask]   Search the parkinsn archive online at:
                 http://james.parkinsons.org.uk
                Catch the Parkinsn's List Online messages at:
         http://www.parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com
             Click the navigation ads and use the new search tools
John Cottingham