Dear List Family....

For the past 5 weeks I've been told by family and
friends that my phone's always busy.  Several
people claimed to have called repeatedly over a
period of HOURS and got a busy signal every time
the phoned me.

The kicker is each time I was told that my line was
busy I had been at home and off the phone or was
GONE from home (and Scooter 'n Buzzy cats do
NOT use my phone!)  It wasn't ME that was on
my phone!

It took me a few weeks to see a pattern evolving - my
phone was "busy" on week NIGHTS - never week
DAYS, plus it was "busy" on Saturdays and Sundays
during the DAY time.

Once I noticed a pattern, I called my telephone
carrier, Pacific Bell, and yesterday Pac Bell sent
out a service man to check my phone set up in
the outside box.

The upshot of all this is that my phone had been
HACKED, and my next phone bill is going to reflect
phone calls made from my phone number to other
phones all over the world - but NOT made by MOI!

Pac Bell's original stance was that I, or SOMEBODY
-- ANYBODY-- would be expected to pay for any
calls made from my phone number, or I'd be in
deep doo doo!

GAWD,  were they TOUGH when I first called them
about the hacking.  I was treated as "guilty until
proven innocent."  tho hey have taken a softer
approach now.  They don't give up easily when they
are expecting payment and not getting it.

My advice to each of ya is to ALWAYS check each
and every phone bill you receive to make sure that YOU
aren't picking up the phone tab of some cheat'n hacker!

Barb Mallut