Phil,
There was a very big hassle over SS stalling disability claims
during Ronald Reagan's presidency.
I have emailed someone who knows which archive to get into
to find this information.  If she can't find it, then I'll have to
make a trip down town to the library in look in "Facts on File"
for the years of RR presidency.

Many people on this list can tell you of their experiences,
and how they had to hire an attorney to get what is really theirs.
I can't say that there is a WRITTEN policy in effect, but it sure
makes one wonder if an UNWRITTEN policy is in effect.

Its about time for an investigative reporter to go to work on SS again.

If it were me applying, I'd certainly go unmedicated.
But at my age, unmedicated and medicated don't seem to
make much difference. I am what I am!!!

just me,
Marjorie
67/12

Phil, you said, in part

<Snip>

So people tell me.  I'm not sure I'm comfortable leaving all the
secrets in the hands of the lawyers. And why should that be
necessary except where there are grey areas or difficult situations?
We PWPs have free access to lots of info about PD independent of
what our doctors tell us (or don't tell us).  I'd like to be in the same
position with regard to disability and lawyers.

Supposedly PD is automatically eligible for Social Security
disability, because it is on the SSA "listing of impairments."  As I
understand the process, the physician needs to provide evidence
supporting the diagnosis "Parkinsonian syndrome" and to
demonstrate that there is "significant rigidity, bradykinesia, or
tremor in two extremities, which, singly or in combination, result in
sustained disturbance of gross and dextrous movements, or gait
and station."  This seems simple enough to do, except the criterion
doesn't specify medicated or unmedicated, nor does it define
"significant" or "sustained disturbance".  Just how severe must
one's disease be?  Can a phone call to SSA clear up these points?

If that's all there is to it, then qualifying shouldn't be the big deal it
is, and a lawyer shouldn't be needed. So why isn't it that simple?
Do doctors and applicants not know what wording or information is
needed, and thus fail to supply it, or do SSA evaluators not follow
their own procedures -- and is there really a policy to deprive us of
our benefits?

These are some areas I'd like to have more information about.