Dear members,

Dyskinesia is NOT the result of overmedication, but the result of
supersensitivity of certain areas in the brain to levodopa (Sinemet,
Madopar, Prolopa) due to the progression of the disease and the long-term
use of levodopa.  Stopping levodopa for a short period (while in the
hospital!!) and restarting it may temporarely reduce the dyskinesias.

With STN/DBS the same happens:  dyskinesias.  However, you can significantly
cut back on your drugs, thereby reducing the dyskinesias.
Thus STN/DBS indirectly improves dyskinesias.

People with previous unilateral pallidotomies, may still be good candidates
for STN/DBS treatment, but they should always have bilateral STN!!!!, just
as all other PD patients.

We have now performed bilateral STN in 10 patients, who had previous
unilateral pallidum stimulation and have responded very well to this second
surgery.  The electrodes in the pallidum are still in place but not
connected to the neuropacemaker.

Greetings,

Chris van der Linden, M.D.
Movement Disorder Center