     At various times I have injured an ankle, damaged both knees
badly, broken my thigh bone, and broken my lower back.    I am
about 30 pounds overweight.

     Weightlifting, running on a treadmill, jogging on a track, and
most exercises on the apparatus in the typical conditioning room
do not do me much good.    My lower body from my waist to my
toes starts getting aches and pains during exercises.    Even
more of a problem, the old knees are really sore for days.

     Aquaerobics, exercises in chest deep warm water, is a
wonderful exercise program for me.     The local YMCA  offers
this class, and it is a very popular class for those with arthritis,
cardio-rehab, and knee/hip/ankle complications.

     I've taken the eight week sessions about six times, sometimes
two times a week and sometimes three times a week.

     The way this Y does it, the participants get into the pool, start
walking, and then go through a continuous series of exercises for
every part of the body for 50 minutes non-stop.

     I can do this exercise program and get a complete workout and
not be stiff or sore at all the next day.

     My family physician recommends the water exercise for many
of his patients who would not and/or could not do traditional
workouts.

     What is it that the TV character McGuiver says, "It works for me!"

     Of course, check with your family doctor who is familiar with
your needs and wants and limitations.

     But having the water support a lot of my weight certainly lets me
move my muscles and joints around with no pain.

     Pat