Eleanor.
I would not be able to brush my teeth at  all without my electric toothbrush.
I've  been using one for several years. a round rotating style, and as my
symptoms get worse I have still been able to brush   my teeth! in general I have
found the small electronic devises to be a god-send in the battle to keep some
level of independence.  Including, but not limited to a battery powered pepper
mill.   I know  this one  may sound trivial, but when you are used  to freshly
ground  pepper and can no longer operate hand grinders, it's just one more
nice-ity that you are not forced to give up.

I would definitely recommend trying one for your mother.
Good Luck.
Cathy