Dear List,

I'm typing this through my daughter.

There's a new book on the market called _Prozac Backlash_ [ISBN 0-684-86001-5] by Joseph Glenmullen, M.D., a Harvard clinical instructor in psychiatry.  In the book he cites many sources indicating that the popular anti-depressants (the Prozac family, including Zoloft, Paxil, Luvox, Remeron, et cetera -- serotonin reuptake inhibitors) lower dopamine levels in the brain, in a seesaw effect:  the higher the serotonin is boosted (inhibited from reabsorption), the lower the dopamine levels are reported to be.

The four primary side effects of the Prozac family are tics, agitation, muscle spasms, and parkinsonism.  From the book:  "Many authors have described cases where serotonin boosters dramatically worsened parkinsonian symptoms in patients with pre-existing Parkinson's disease."  (page 42).  He also references the fact that early Parkinson's (internal tremor) is often misdiagnosed as anxiety or depression, resulting in prescriptions for Prozac-family anti-depressants or Valium-family anti-anxiety tranquilizers.

Today I spoke with my primary PD doctor, who discounts the theory that serotonin reuptake inhibitors could possibly lower brain dopamine.  The only anti-depressant listed in the book which is reported to BOOST dopamine is Wellbutrin.  My doctor said there's no way to monitor what Wellbutrin is doing in regards to dopamine levels.

Are any listmates taking Wellbutrin?  Has anyone's primary PD doctor discussed the possibility that serotonin reuptake inhibitors might possibly lower brain dopamine?