At 13:01 2000/07/27 -0500, jerry finch wrote:
>OK, guys, none of this "hero" stuff. I thank you for
>the praise, but let me tell you about the real heroes.
>
>Jim West's story in the Dallas paper and his affection
>to the little pony struck a strong chord in my memory.
>Like Jim, I've grown up and grown old but I still have
>a "I wanna' be a cowboy when I grow up" child in me.
>This little child loves horses, loves being with them,
>watching them, hugging them, loves them because they,
>to me, are the most awe inspiring of all animals.
>
>A couple of years ago I spent my time sitting in my
>living room, hunched over the computer, writing stories
>and cussing the PD that kept pulling me downhill.
>Walking bothered me, the keyboard was becoming
>impossible, my wife was talking about moving to a place
>where I didn't have to do anything, thinking that the
>day was fast approaching that I couldn't do anything.
>
>Margaret Tuchman called me one night, just to chat.
>Over the course of several months we developed a loving
>relationship over the phone, the discourse finally
>leading me to tell her about my love of horses and my
>hatred of those who abuse them. "There is no place for
>the abused, weak, homeless horses other than a final
>trip to the slaughterhouse," I would tell her.
>
>"Then make a place," she answered.
>
>"You're joking. I have PD. I stumble, I fall a lot, I
>shake. There's no way I can start a horse rescue."
>
>That continued for a few more weeks, me complaining
>about the injustice of it all, her telling me to get
>off my butt and do something. The woman has no pity.
>
>I started a nonprofit corporation, did the IRS
>paperwork and suddenly horses started showing up at my
>door. Someone donated 27 acres of undeveloped land,
>someone else donated enough money to buy a 100 acre
>sanctuary, volunteers started coming out, kids started
>hanging around the stalls instead of the streets....
>
>Months later it suddenly dawned on me that my PD
>symptoms were almost gone.
>
>The guy who had a hard time walking across the living
>room was up at 3am, walking a sick horse around in the
>dark. The guy who once shook like a terrified rabbit
>was calming a shaking horse down with soft words and
>gentle touches. They weren't curing me of PD, but they
>had taking my PD away just the same.
>
>There's a magic pill in every horse hug, a calming in
>every neigh. And it isn't just me. I see the same
>result in others with neurological problems. If I
>could, I'd package up a horse and send one to each of
>you so you could see what I'm talking about.
>
>Margaret is the hero for these horses. The horses are
>my heroes. They not only have the will to live no
>matter what happens to them, they have given me the
>will to overcome PD and the opportunity to help others
>do the same.
>
>"Stop dreaming about it. Just do it," Margaret told me
>one night. Her words should be burned into stone for
>PDers. Her drive for the Parkinson Alliance and its
> [...]

imho, jer,
what you have done, is simply changed your visors
from looking at what you can't do
to what you can do
in an area that feeds your spirit and passion

animals love those who love them
unconditionally

there's a lesson in there for all us bipeds

we are not limited by our bodies
we are limited only by our minds
when our brain function is healthy
our minds [and hearts] function without limits

much love

janet

janet paterson
53 now / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd
tel: 613 256 8340 url: "http://www.geocities.com/janet313/"
email: "[log in to unmask]" smail: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada