the itinerary

my pd diagnosis was a wake-up call
or at least it was the exclamation point
and flagged an unexpected turn off the road i had been on

unexpected is putting it mildly

prior to 1988
i could never have described myself as a 'thinker' or 'philosopher'
i could never have imagined not being 'able' to read fiction - it was my escape
i would never have given much credence to the theories behind 'psychiatry' and 'cognition'

me, experience what i can only describe as a revelation?  hardly
me, forgive and let go of (almost) all past 'hurts'?
my middle name was 'grudge'
quickly followed by
'judge'
which was a code word for 'condemn'

all of which attitudes i now see
were anchored firmly in fear

the past five years since discovering the internet
(read 'my passion for written communication')
and being physically and otherwise slowed down
by 'circumstances'
(read 'grace')
have brought changes into my life that
i could never have dreamed of, had nightmares about, hoped for, or dreaded

fears are all about things we don't understand
knowledge is the light that banishes fear
truth is the rootstock of knowledge
love is the eternal core

i am still stumbling down this path
i barely understand how it is that i know what i do
or how i can write some of the things that i write
but i know i don't need to understand it all
i just need to keep my eyes open
and i will see

janet paterson
2000/07/20

janet paterson
53 now / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd
tel: 613 256 8340 url: "http://www.geocities.com/janet313/"
email: "[log in to unmask]" smail: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada