     Oh, the moon is fair tonight along the Wabash.

     From the hills there comes the breath of new mown hay.

     Through the sycamores the candlelights are gleaming

     On the banks of the Wabash far away

     Goodness gracious.    Mentioning places along the western
part of Indiana certainly gets a response, doesn't it.

     I worked in the billet mill in Gary for six months.    Then I got
drafted.

     I worked at the Weston Paper Plant in Terre Haute.    A couple
of years ago my wife's high school class (Brazil, Indiana) had a
reunion at Larry Bird's Boston Connection Hotel and Conference
Center right on Hwy 41 in Terre Haute.

    What's the name of the teams from Indiana State University
(also on Hwy 41) ?    Indiana State Sycamores.

     Several times while hitch hiking I've been dropped off
in Pimento on Hwy 41.    Also Farmersburg, Attica, Kentland.

     I was born in Sullivan in the Mary Sherman Hospital on Hwy 41.

     Worked in the big peach orchards in Carlisle & Oaktown on 41.

     My brother was a CPA  for 25 years in Evansville.   Had a couple
of cousins there.    Been thru that airport north on Hwy 41.

     Thank you all for mentioning your connection to the area.

     Back home again in Indiana, where it seems that I can see

     The gleaming candlelight still shining bright

     Through the sycamores for me.

     The new mown hay sends all its fragrance

     Through the hills I used to roam.

     When I dream about the moonlight on the Wabash,

     Then I long for my Indiana home.

      I'm sorry that I don't know who wrote these verses.  There
was a guy in our outfit overseas who just couldn't seem to cope
well with being away from his family.  He would get "crying drunk"
and teach these songs to the other troops.  After 14 months he
had dozens of guys who knew all the words.