i am 53 years old, diagnosed in 1980 at ag 32.
i had dbs surgery on june 20, this year, right side brain.  i had pallidotomy
right side1996 at emory hosp., atlanta.  my dbs performed by philip starr,
univ california,  san francisco
operation lasted about three hours, plus an additonal hour for implant
immedately following.
one week later sutures removed and implant was turned on and programmed.  i
was given magnets to turn unit on or of as needed.  also informed there is no
way to detect whether the unit is on or off at home!--somethng which needs to
be corrected as it  can be inadvertently triggered.
i did have the unit adjusted slightly twice since placed..experencing
discomfort both times..
it seems ok now providing moderate relief of symptoms, am hopeful time will
enable further benefits.
the operation cost about $39,000--covered completely by my
medicare/medi-cal(californa) coverage