OK, guys, none of this "hero" stuff. I thank you for
the praise, but let me tell you about the real heroes.

Jim West's story in the Dallas paper and his affection
to the little pony struck a strong chord in my memory.
Like Jim, I've grown up and grown old but I still have
a "I wanna' be a cowboy when I grow up" child in me.
This little child loves horses, loves being with them,
watching them, hugging them, loves them because they,
to me, are the most awe inspiring of all animals.

A couple of years ago I spent my time sitting in my
living room, hunched over the computer, writing stories
and cussing the PD that kept pulling me downhill.
Walking bothered me, the keyboard was becoming
impossible, my wife was talking about moving to a place
where I didn't have to do anything, thinking that the
day was fast approaching that I couldn't do anything.

Margaret Tuchman called me one night, just to chat.
Over the course of several months we developed a loving
relationship over the phone, the discourse finally
leading me to tell her about my love of horses and my
hatred of those who abuse them. "There is no place for
the abused, weak, homeless horses other than a final
trip to the slaughterhouse," I would tell her.

"Then make a place," she answered.

"You're joking. I have PD. I stumble, I fall a lot, I
shake. There's no way I can start a horse rescue."

That continued for a few more weeks, me complaining
about the injustice of it all, her telling me to get
off my butt and do something. The woman has no pity.

I started a nonprofit corporation, did the IRS
paperwork and suddenly horses started showing up at my
door. Someone donated 27 acres of undeveloped land,
someone else donated enough money to buy a 100 acre
sanctuary, volunteers started coming out, kids started
hanging around the stalls instead of the streets....

Months later it suddenly dawned on me that my PD
symptoms were almost gone.

The guy who had a hard time walking across the living
room was up at 3am, walking a sick horse around in the
dark. The guy who once shook like a terrified rabbit
was calming a shaking horse down with soft words and
gentle touches. They weren't curing me of PD, but they
had taking my PD away just the same.

There's a magic pill in every horse hug, a calming in
every neigh. And it isn't just me. I see the same
result in others with neurological problems. If I
could, I'd package up a horse and send one to each of
you so you could see what I'm talking about.

Margaret is the hero for these horses. The horses are
my heroes. They not only have the will to live no
matter what happens to them, they have given me the
will to overcome PD and the opportunity to help others
do the same.

"Stop dreaming about it. Just do it," Margaret told me
one night. Her words should be burned into stone for
PDers. Her drive for the Parkinson Alliance and its
efforts at funding a cure for PD, her push for the
publication of  "From the Parking Lot," and the
hundreds of other things she has been involved in came
from her desire to stop listening to the dreams of
PDers and start pushing them to see their dreams become
a reality. Habitat for Horses would not exist had it
not been for her.

Now I have the same attitude - there is a way for each
of us to make our life better. Drawing the focus away
from PD, being involved in something - anything - other
than the daily on/off cycle of our pills. My cure is
inside the eyes of a horse (and I firmly believe a lot
of other PDers can find the cure there). For others it
might be something totally different, but it still
involves the power of our mind and our demanding
control over our own future.

Thanks, Murray, for the "hero" badge. Jim West's pony
and my horses are our heroes, so I'm going to go out
and give my badge to them. We all have a "pony" in our
childhood and maybe, just maybe, that child is trying
to tell us something. Stop dreaming about it, just do
it.

Jerry
--
Help us save the horses! Habitat for Horses, Inc.
A lifetime home for abused, endangered horses.