> I have woke up choking.  Then I have a very difficult time breathing.  My
> former doctor gave me inhalers for asthma, but they have no effect.  It
> occasionally happens when I am awake too.

Like everyone else, I'll be anxious to read the verdict of your GP regarding
this problem.  As has already been recommended, a swallowing evaluation is
definitely in order.  Hopefully, your GP will order one.  If he doesn't -
insist that one be done.  I'm concerned that you experience this choking
problem while you're awake.  What you didn't say was that you experience
this problem when you're eating.  Do you?  And, have you had a cardiac
workup?
-----
God bless
Mary Ann