Ah, what a grand & glorious topic! We have our wonderful, high
profile-hard working heroes like Joan Samuelson and Michael J. Fox. We
have our quiet, so-very-effective but not-so-in-the-spotlight heroes
like Margaret Tuchman (who does 4 peoples work-believe me), Jerrry
Finch,  Ken Adikman, Margot Zobel, Mary Manfredi, Robin Elliot, Jim
Cordy, Susan Reece, Carol Walton & so many others-who are out there
pitching for us each & every day. Then we have your everyday heroes like
Dennis Greene, janet paterson, Art Hirsch, Camaillia Flintermann, Simon
Coles, Murray, the people in the chatrooms and on the lists and all of
the boards who fill our on-line time with word of support, information,
& beauty. Then there are the heroes who spend their days  battling this
disease and making a loud but silent statement just by their living
their lives. And then there are the unsung heroes out threw all have
them, the girlfriend who picks up your groceries, cuts your hair,
watches your kids when you're not up to it, who love & support your
every venture and visit & listen to you when you talk so slowly; last
but certainly not least in my heart & soul, our families: kids who help
you walk with you behind all of their friends & who are so much more
mature than their friends because they have had to deal with disease &
having a parent who is "different." But the hero that I thank God for
every waking moment of my life-my husband: the guy who bears the brunt
of this. The one who is out mopping the kitchen floor at 10 at night
after a long hard day at work, followed by picking the kids up from golf
lessons & going up to school to volunteer a few hours to paint the
hallways at school, and got up early today to clean the bathroom. This
is the man who believes in happily ever after-even if it includes PD,
who believes in a kind & loving God and thankfully still believes in the
works he vowed 13 years ago: "In sickness & in health...Until death do
us part."

--
Joan E. Snyder      48/10