Sentence combining is not writing but a silly academic exercise that measures
the compliance of the students we ask to do things like this. This exercise
trivializes writing. I have little doubt that this exercise would baffle (and
repel) many expert writers. Writers don't do things like this.

We need to provoke--and allow--our students to do what writers do: that is to
make a range of difficult decisions about the words and sentences and various
patternings that will best express their meanings in voices appropriate to
them.

Sentences, combined and uncombined, work they express meaning. Exercises like
this encourage students to fake, not make, meaning. Or, they push meaning right
off the agenda. Exercises like this also suggest that longer sentences are
better than shorter sentences.

Remind your evaluation consultants that some of the best writers of the last
fifty years average less than ten works per sentence. These writers missed out
on the combining exercise.

Does that help?

Guy Allen
Coordinator, Professional Writing