                                        IDLEWILD

This is ridiculous, I fumed to myself. I know I've fallen on hard times, but
to be reduced to this?  Sitting in a yard sale, with all the other junk. It
seems like just yesterday when me and my sisters came off the Reynolds
aluminum line.... we were some of the very first metal boats - everyone said
we would sink, but we sure fooled them. Now adays, all the young boats are
metal, but me and my sisters were some of the very first ones. Gee, I was so
cute back then, with my metal hull, and nose bonnet, and that sharp Johnson
engine.  It was a 4 horse power, and we all thought it was so fast.  That
nice man bought me, and took me home to his new bride, and we all had so
much fun.  And then those pesky kids came along, they were sure hard on me,
but I took care of them, kept them from sinking us and they got better with
age.
     Age..... I guess that's me now, all old and unwanted.  It's been nearly
14 yrs since anyone has put me in the water.  My next owners were my first
owner's sister and her husband.  They had big plans for me, until he got
sick.  One day he just went away, and she never wanted to take me out again.
  This new owner, humph. HE talked big when he bought me four years ago, was
going to make me a spear fishing boat. All he did was take my bonnet off and
add some wood for a deck. And we can't forget the brown paint - he splashed
brown paint on me - didn't finish the job either, just a splash here and
there, and that was all.  He never even changed my tires, and one of them is
over 30 yrs old now.  I guess this is the end for me, no one wants a beat up
old codger like me, when there are so many new boats out now.
     Hey, there is a nice couple.  They look so cute and so in love.  They
are looking at me... asking HIM how much.  Two hundred dollars! With how I
look? No engine? Trailer falling apart? See, they aren't going to buy me.
Wait a minute, they are still looking.  And she is still talking to him...
they are going to make a deal for me. And he threw in my old Johnson engine,
I'm so glad we won't be parted after all these years.  I'm all smiles, and
so are they.
     It was sure a long ride to my new home, especially with that tire
throwing rubber half the trip.  They are showing me off to another couple.
Hmmm, they sure weren't too impressed with me.  What are they doing now? Oh,
that tickles.  They are sanding my bottom - watch out buster, don't get
fresh with me! Oooo that new paint feels nice, and off white color too.  I
haven't looked this sharp in years.  They are painting my bonnet too. Sponge
painting me, that's a new one.  But maroon is a pretty color on the white.
Oh cool, they are painting my insides forest green.  And adding a radio?
What will they think of next.  Indoor/outdoor carpet? For me? And they are
painting my trim in maroon too... You know what? I feel 40 yrs younger!  I
am going to take care of these folks, they are sure being good to me.  I
feel so great, and look so cute.
    One thing about it, I don't know what the future holds in store for me,
but I bet we sure have a lot of fun fishing....hope they don't outgrow me
too fast, I think I'm going to like my new life....with this sexy redhead
and this crazy cowboy, I bet we have lots of good times.

bob armentrout copyright 2000