posted August 04, 2000 10:37 AM

Janet & All,

Also wanted to add my voice to this topic.....and thank you for bringing it
out into the light. It's taken a few months, but i've resolved to go through
with some psychotherapy. You see, the neuros are telling me it's not PD
causing my symptoms but "unresolved issues"....and while i think i know the
answer to this "chicken and egg" situation....i owe it to myself to get the
therapy and see what's what.

Now, as far as the stigma issues.....yes, some of my concerns revolve around
my pride and ego....what it will do to my reputation? and will i be here on
out considered "the crazy lady'? It hurts let me tell ya! But, actually the
worst part for me is that therapy asks of you to question your self, and that
leads to self-doubt....something i'm not used to at all....the one thing in
this world i could depend on was myself....and now i'm not so sure!

So, is the therapy helping? Too early to tell. Am i going to continue anyway?
You bet, even though i'm constantly tempted to quit, not going to let the
fear
of the unknown stop me as it could one day save my life as well as any drug
or operation!

After hearing the news about Paige and also losing a loved one recently to
suicide, i have developed more of a fear of not getting into therapy than
what
i may discover through it. I hope others will see a visit once in a while to
the psychologist as they do the dentist....yes, it is often painful but will
help to promote a LONG and healthy life!

Thanks again for the thread!

beth

posted August 04, 2000 11:01 AM

hi beth

i firmly believe that anyone
contemplating any kind of psychological
or spiritual therapy or counselling
or growth or psychotherapy
or what-ever-you-want-to-call-it
is contemplating an act of
courage and faith
not weakness.

my first inspiration for beginning
the past five years of work on me
was scott peck's book
"a road less traveled"
where he says:

"life poses an endless series of problems...

"yet it is in this whole process of meeting and solving problems that life
has its meaning...

"tendency to avoid problems and the emotional suffering inherent in them is
the primary
basis of all human mental illness..."

dragging some of that old hidden stuff out
can be painful at the time
but it's like removing a hidden abcess...
allow the poisons to flow out
and you are healed
no hurt remains

sharing joy makes it greater
sharing pain makes it lighter

janet

"janet's rants on clinical depression (cd) + suicide "
This topic is located at:
"http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/ubb/Forum71/HTML/002000.htm"

These forums are owned and maintained by
the Department of Neurology at Massachusetts General Hospital
Webspinner - John Lester

janet paterson
53 now / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd
tel: 613 256 8340 url: "http://www.geocities.com/janet313/"
email: "[log in to unmask]" smail: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0
Canada