Date sent:              Fri, 4 Aug 2000 01:42:26 -0700
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   davidmeigs <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Q for Dr. Bob (or others) re radio & PD surgeries
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> You can't imagine the sheer joy I got from your last answer re radio
> waves. Are you aware of the work being done using radio waves &
> imaging.  Also about the radio "bombardment" chambers they are using
> at U of W Hosp. for healing?
>
> Also you said that the PD surgeries use radio waves, can this be
> explained to someone like me with zilch techno background.   Are you
> aware of a link that talks about the "how" these operations work?  I
> thought they used electrical current, not radio waves.  Is that why
> people can tell if their device is on by placing a radio next to the
> device to tell them if it is on?
>
> Sorry Bob, but I got the "yearning for the learning"!
>

> David Meigs  aka: Pappy

David,

Not a lot of time (my daughter is getting married this weekend), but
here is the quick answer.  Lesions in the brain are usually made by
"radiofrequency generators" which are electrically-powered machines
that cause a signal to be transmitted to the end of a probe producing
radio waves which, in turn, *heat* the tissues.  As they heat up, the
cells are literally "cooked", and that is how lesions are made.  Other
methods can be used (freezing, ultrasound, radiation, etc.), but the
principle is the same, and radiofrequency (RF) is the most common
method today.

As to "bombarding" people with "radio waves", this is the stuff of
science fiction, although the military tried this (in a big way) during
the Cold War.  I am told that the U. S. military had some kind of
"station" up on the Oregon or Washington coast which "beamed"
radio waves over to Russia, trying to screw up Nikita Khruschev's
brain function.  It probably didn't work, but apparently, many dollars
were spent on the project.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"