Hello again, David Bergford wrote: 0000,FF00,0000> ... We may need to deal with some political realities, but it is > highly unlikely that one or the other candidate/party will make a > major difference. True in that NIH research funding has generally received bipartisan support. But in the case of restoring brain tissue lost by neurodegeneration, I think stem cell implantation is rather important. It seems to me that different views on use of stem cells are not so much political party-related as they are differences of personal religious or philosophical views. It just so happens that the candidates have different personal views on this. George W is at variance with leading members of his own party as well, as the Kondracke article indicates. 0000,0000,0000There are other health-related issues (insurance, drug costs, etc.) that affect us as well that are more political party differences. I'd think it's good to look at issues like these also before concluding that it doesn't matter who wins the election. 0000,FF00,0000> We are in a battle that must be won, and gaining bipartisan > support of our cause makes much more sense than aligning with > either major political party. 0000,0000,0000Agreed as far as PD itself goes. Maybe we need to educate George W on stem cells. 0100,0100,0100David Meigs wrote: 0000,FF00,0000> Have you seen some of the studies of late, re - Stem cells from > bone marrow? This source, like fetal sources are still off in the > future. BUT, with "primitive neuro cells" harvested and made from > our own bodies, there is much less chance of rejection. I > personally feel that this process is the much "safer" route. It > also bypasses the moral dilemma revolving around fetal sources. As I understand it, bone marrow stem cells are the source of the various types of blood cells. I am unaware of research to convert them to brain stem cells or discussions by researchers regarding the feasibility thereof. Do you or anyone else know of any? There are also stem cells in the brain which can possibly be used in autologous transplants. I believe that this would require two operations - one to extract the stem cells, and a second to implant them. 0000,FF00,0000> I have a dear friend that has had a heart transplant (10 years > ago). Rejection is the biggest risk he has, even after all these > years. The drugs he has to take to suppress his immune system > put him at constant risk. Perhaps using your OWN bone marrow could > finally bring about a "true healing" of PD; not just a trading of > one for another set of medical problems. Even worse would be > facing cell rejection AND worsening PD!!! I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I read somewhere that rejection by the immune system is much less of a problem for brain tissue transplants. I will try to find the references if anyone is interested. 0000,0000,0000In the NIH PD research agenda document created as a result of a planning workshop attended in January by NIH and other researchers as well as PD advocacy group representatives, the approach outlined for stem cell research is to explore all sources of stem cells to determine the best sources. It is too early now to say what they might be. See http://www.ninds.nih.gov/whatsnew/pdagenda2000/ nihparkinsonsagenda.htm Phil Tompkins