-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Charles E Murray
Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2000 9:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Drug trial underway

I haven't shared at the list level till now, but after reading posts
about Paige I want to offer encouragement to anyone thinking about giving
up.  The drug trial testing what used to be called GPI 1046, now AMGEN
(AMG-474) is actually underway.

It was suppose to start in early June, but FDA pulled the plug and the
protocol and testing procedures are now much more stringent (i.e. in
patient overnight stay for the first 30 people taking the drug at the
first dose date, all day blood draws  on weekly follow ups, etc.).

Some who were screened too long ago are being re-screened, but those who
were later in screening have actually started the drug within the last
week or so.  All 30 in the lead off group should be getting med by mid to
late August, with another 270 volunteers waiting to start if the first
group doesn't develop any bad side effects.

I've been off the list for a few days due to travel so don't know if any
one else has posted this information.  If this stuff works on us like it
did on monkeys we are looking at reversing this disease for the first
time.  More later.

Chuck