Hi list members,
  It is great to read all the discussion on this topic. While we each
have our own beliefs about stem cell research, politics,  and other
controversial topics, we should feel free to state our opinions on the
list and also to agree or disagree witth others.

Three points I'd like to add to the discussion:
1. During the campaign to pass and fund the Udall Bill the most common
argumment heard from  politicians who were against "earmarking" research
funds for specific diseases (aka "disease specific funding")  was along
the lines of -- Congress shouldn't dictate to the scientists in the NIH
how to spend their money; and research decisions should be made by the
scientists, not politicians.
   In the case of stem cell research - the scientists have spoken and
their opinion is that it is a priority in the battle against PD. If you
look at the names of the researchers listed on the Parkinson's Disease
Research Agenda and the Parkinson's Disease Implementation Committee --
they are among the mostt recognized in the field of PD research. This
should not be a decision made by the politicians, and the medical issues
should not get buried under election year political agendas and campaign
rhetoric.

2. Whatever our personal opinions, it is important for us to know the
views of the Presidential candidates on stem cell research, and funding
for PD research in general . Equally important are the views of the
Senate and House candidates, and its often difficult to find  their views
on this research. Thanks Phil for posting Mort Kondracke's article. Maybe
someone has found other sources of information. We could also call the
campaign offices of our Senate and Rep. candidates and  post their

3. There are  5 other priority areas identified in the report, in
addition to stem cell research. What do you think about these?

 * Medical and Surgical Therapeutics Research
    * Genetic Epidemiology and Gene Expression and Analysis
    * Attracting Researchers to Parkinson's Disease
    * Modes of Cooperation with the Private Sector
    * Communicating with the Scientific Community and the Public