There is definitely a need for political discussion on the listserv. We
in the Parkinsons community need to share information about which
politicians support our interests and which do not. The future of
research funding demands it. Such communication was helpful in getting
the Udall Act passed. It is apparent from the Kondracke article that
Phil Thompkins shared with us that George W. Bush is not friendly toward
our interests, so we should support Vice President Al Gore. As the
article indicates, other Republican politicians believe in our interests
and are worthy of our support. However, a key Republican, Senate
Majority Leader Trent Lott has consistently blocked the Senate from
voting on funding for stem cell research. He will remain in his position
as long as Republicans control the Senate. So, it is in the best
interests of the Parkinsons community for the Democrats to win the
Senate this fall.
John Testa( 52/46/46 ) and Donna