hi all

i believe that in the majority of cases
clinical depression [cd]  IS considered curable aka 'reversible' aka 'fixable'

however, there are many different potential causes and combinations thereof
and many individual responses to medications and therapies
so there are many different modes of dealing with it
[sound familiar?]

the way my first psychiatrist explained it to me was:
an incident of extreme stress, e.g. sudden death of a loved one,
or even a long unrelieved period of 'regular' stress
can cause injury or 'insult' to the brain's function
much the same as a physical injury:
stress is a killer
and manifests itself in many disguises

but the result is pretty predictable:
it can cause the 'three tenors' of our emotional management
neurotransmitter chorus
to start singing more and more off key
as the chemical imbalance worsens

sometimes, with time,
the brain chemistry can eventually reverse the 'insult' on its own

the definitive marker between a period of natural sadness or grief
and the recognition of clinical depression
is usually stated in terms of time
[the gloom lasts months rather than days or weeks]
as well as in terms of manifestion of the classic cd symptoms

but more often, medication can be used as a 'kick-starter'
to stop the downward spiral of negative thinking
and thus enable other therapies in the reversal of the chemistry back to
normal
in cases like this, it is not necessary to continue medication

[in some studies cognitive therapy has been shown to be
more effective than medication in dealing a death blow to cd]

if someone suffers a Major Depressive Incident
they are more likely than the general population to suffer another one
but that does not mean that the disease is 'in remission'
and always lurking in the background waiting to attack

however, there are individuals who may be more susceptible to cd
as an ongoing chronic condition through heredity or disease
[see my earlier re-post of cd defined]
in these individuals, medication, i.e.
restoration of the chemical imbalance,
may be advised/required on an ongoing basis

part of the background to this false idea of 'incurability'
may be due to chronic undertreatment
even for those who have been correctly diagnosed

it is my impression that there are lots of us
walking around with one foot caught in the cd slime bucket
and functioning at only part of our potential
but for all intents and purposes
still 'functioning'

there are several news articles about all of this on my website
just do a search on 'clinical depression'

knowledge replaces fear with strength

janet
who takes prozac for her mood disorder
and
levodopa for her movement disorder
and
by gum, is almost normal!

janet paterson
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
tel: 613 256 8340 url: "http://www.geocities.com/janet313/"
email: "[log in to unmask]" smail: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0
Canada