People, please don't get hysterical about this. Yes, it is a serious problem
that will be fixed, but consider this:

50 people killed over several years pales in comparison to 50,000 per year
in all auto accidents.

We don't pay the attention we should to proper air pressure in any of our
tires. Probably the most important thing we can do to avoid problems. I
check my tires about once per week regardless of whether they appear to be
low or not. I put in the rated pressure (embossed on the side of the tire)
if I expect to be driving only around town on short trips. For long trips, I
lower the pressure two or three psi (depending on summer or winter) to
compensate for heating during long high speed cruising on the interstate.
There is an added benefit, longer tire life. With regular rotation, proper
inflation, and proper driving habits, I get over 50,000 miles typically from
a set of new tires (95,000 one time on my 75 Mustang. When I tried to
replace them with identical set, found out manufacturer had discontinued
that line!)

I would suspect that the majority of the accidents have been from blowouts
at speed well above 65 MPH. The manufacturer and safety experts say they are
safe if you keep your speed below 55.

Now don't get me wrong. If I owned a vehicle with these tires, I would get
them replaced as soon as practical, but I wouldn't waste time wringing my
hands and being scared to death to drive the vehicle. I would just change
how I drive it.