sorry if this is a duplication my mailserver is acting up again

hi all

perhaps listmembers
who are relatively new to this list and/or the internet
are not aware of the essential differences between 'chat' rooms,
'newsgroups', 'bulletin boards', and 'e-mailing lists'.

they are all means of communication between 'cyber-nauts'
with varying degrees of 'immediacy' or response time.

there are lots of more specific differences too,
but the main advantage of an e-mail mailing list like ours
is access to the list archives
[maintained at no cost to us by the university of toronto, eh?]

meaning...
every message ever posted here
since november 1993 when barb patterson started it
as the "parkinson's disease information exchange network"

meaning...
every joke, every spam, every virus warning,
every news item, every pubmed article, every rant, every argument,
every pig reference, every "you go, girl!", every constipation question,
every pan forum meeting result, every urban legend, every poem,
every moment of shared joy and pain,
you name it...

they are all in there, folks,
for your enlightenment at your door-to-door e-mail convenience
[see my web site for list-server search instructions]

the potential of the archives as a resource
struck me way back in 1996
when i was living
in 'paradise'...

it still does
and
i still am

janet
proud pienet list elfette

Post: 009114
Date: 29 Feb 1996
Subj: Re: Speaking our minds here

Hello All;

The most obvious benefit of this list, is the personal communication
that takes place between listmembers.

However, in the long term, the other benefit - the Archives - may
prove to be equally or possibly even more valuable.

Since every message ever posted to the list is stored permanently in
the archives, we have access to perhaps the most comprehensive
one-stop-shop of Parkie information in the world. Accessible for
searching by virtually anyone.

As this resource keeps growing, who knows what correlation or 'eureka'
coincidence might be noticed by a future searcher, whether in 6 weeks,
6 months, or 6 years.

Posting a message to this list is like planting a seed.

Janet
from the garden in the ocean
"http://www.geocities.com/janet313/wordspie/199602/009114.html"

janet paterson
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
tel: 613 256 8340 url: "http://www.geocities.com/janet313/"
email: [log in to unmask] smail: POBox 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada