At 14:02 2000/08/14 EDT, bonnie wrote:
>My father has said several times recently that he does not have
>on/offs - or at least he cannot tell the difference between the
>two. My mother, who is with dad all the time, has commented that
>there is such a fine line between the on & off. His main symptom
>is bradykinesia but he also has tremor. He's now up to 12 Sinemet
>a day. Any comments
>
>Bonnie
>daughter of Jim 80/72

hi bonnie

with the usual disclaimers
i am not a medico...
we all respond differently...
etc.

it seems odd to me that your father is up to
such a high quantity of sinemet in such a short time

what dosage of sinemet tablets is he taking?
what other meds is he taking?
what type of doctor is treating him?

after 12 years
my sinemet intake has crept up to 800/80 or so per day
[i.o.w. 8 x 100/10 [blue] sinemet tablets]
plus 10 mg selegiline per day as well
[which relieves some symptoms too]

how does your mother assess the 'fine line' between off and on?

i associate the 'motor fluctuations' of the 'on/off syndrome'
with the ability to 'move' as opposed to 'freeze'
in the rigidity type of pd
and have not heard of it connected with the tremour type of pd

i first noticed 'going off' after being on sinemet for over 6 years
and it manifested in me, as a sensation of the meds 'running out'
and the slowness and the rigidity returning
before it was time to take the next dose of sinemet
as if 'gaps' had developed in my med 'coverage' of my symptoms

so the advice was to take half as much sinemet twice as often
in an attempt to provide 'smoother' more 'continuous' med supply
to those dopamine starved transmitters

this technique has served me well
so far
touch wood

janet

janet paterson
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
tel: 613 256 8340 url: "http://www.geocities.com/janet313/"
email: [log in to unmask] smail: POBox 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada