Ivan, these are clips from several sources:

levo-dopa (l-3,4-dihydroxy phenyl alanine) is a precursor of dopamine
which can pass from blood into the brain (many molecules will not
pass into the brain) via amino acid 'transporters'. It is converted
there into dopamine by an enzyme labeled dopa decarboxylase. The
action of this enzyme is inhibited in the body other than the brain
by the addition of carbidopa in Sinemet - and a different dopa
decarboxylase inhibitor, benserazide, in Madopar. Generic
carbidopa/levodopa medications are also available.

  I find that in my case a four hourly dose of 100mg. Madopar (normal
release) and 200mg. Madopar HBS (slow release) taken 1 hour after the
normal release gives me the best result, over a four hour period.  I
take this five times a day. ****unknown writer

  In Europe, the sustained-release benserazide-levodopa formulation
utilizes the decarboxylase inhibitor benserazide rather than
carbidopa. The drug is sold under the trade name Madopar. One
randomized, double-blind study comparing sustained-release
benserazide-levodopa with standard benserazide-levodopa in a
relatively small number of patients showed fewer fluctuations and
dyskinesias in patients on the sustained-release preparation 2 years
after treatment began.[68] More definitive information on the
potential advantage of the early use of sustained-release
carbidopa-levodopa should emerge from an ongoing clinical trial, in
which patients are randomized to either immediate, or
sustained-release carbidopa-levodopa.[67]

>IS there anyone who has tried both Sinemet
>(or Sinemet CR) AND Madopar?
>
>I am wondering if the benzeride  (sp.?)  in
>Madopar causes it to work differently from
>the way that the carbidopa in Sinemet is
>believed to work.
I have not tried Madopar. there are several forms of the medication.

the smallest dispersibles are Brian Collins favorite. they may have
citric acid content to be best tasting.

the CR sinemet is a special binder that slows absorption. crumbled,
this can give a very uncomfortable stomach the carbidopa is 25/100
ratio in both sizes of CR. this seems to be best. it may be that the
levodopa disolves out of the tablet faster than the carbidopa.

the Madopar(HBS) may be a capsule of several coated subsize particles
that dissolve at different times.

there are several styles of medication.

the carbidopa and benserazide each inhibit the peripheral blood
carboxlyation enzyme - and neither enter the brain fluids from the
blood vessels in the skull.

there may be less effect from large amount of benserazide than
carbidopa from large dosages of the medications. i have not searched
for a comparison study.

ron
--
Ron Vetter 1936, '84 PD dz