I use a program that detects "unwanted connections" to your computer, it
also can tell you what they were trying to do, and can trace them back to
their computer.  You can also report the incident to the authorities (I like
this part).  the program I use is called "hack tracer" and I downloaded it
from ZDnet.

The draw back is that it has to be configured properly.  I am NOT an expert
in this area, and have never "hacked" a computer before (other than at the
request of my boss to find out who had accessed files without permission)  I
do "hang out" with many I suspect (know) are hackers online.  (they know me
as pappy)  This makes me kinda nervous, and have had pranks pulled on me
before.  I have done some programming, but now find it "mentally impossible"
now (mostly games & applications).

I know there are PWP's out there who are in software, and ARE experts.  I am
a self taught novice and would appreciate the view of real experts.  There
have been 14 attempts today alone while my wife was surfing the web.

Take care,

David Meigs  aka: Pappy