At 12:57 2000/08/08 -0400, camilla wrote:
>Dear  Janet,
>After reading all your have written re: CD and suicide,
>I have one question: Is it your position that EVERYONE
>who under ANY circumstances chooses suicide MUST be
>"clinically depressed"?  That is the impression I get
>---- or as you would say, my "perception"  :-)

hi camilla

according to what i have read recently
cd is the direct cause of 'the majority' of suicides

i have seen the 'caused by cd' percentage estimated
as high as 98% [!] and as low as 75% or thereabouts

but definite figures are hard to come by
[hmm - remind you of anything?]

i am starting to think it might be possible
that the 'assisted' or 'voluntary' suicides are a 'public' aspect of this
picture
[and maybe associated with more 'tangible' terminal disease?]
and that the 'slime-shame-cd-caused' suicides form the 'hidden' aspect
or at least the 'not-talked-about' aspect.

maybe we find it easier to empathize with the
concept of suicide and someone dying of terminal inoperable painful cancer
[e.g.]
than to understand the [invisible] emotional pain of cd
which is still stigmatized by 'loaded' concepts
like 'mentally disturbed' and/or 'sin'

janet

ps
it's not even the death of the individual that specifically bothers me
it's the pain that i know that they have been through prior to that;
i have felt and experienced one fraction of it
and feel blessed that i can at least
attempt to describe it for others

janet paterson
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
tel: 613 256 8340 url: "http://www.geocities.com/janet313/"
email: "[log in to unmask]" smail: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0
Canada