> but as i've said before
> the dastardly thing about clinical depression
> is that it distorts your perceptions and cognition in such a way
> that rational choices slide further and further out of reach

Janet, as you have noted, not all suicides are due to clinical depression.
For the most part, teenagers who commit suicide are not chronically
depressed, but temporarily so.  That's why we teach kids that suicide is a
permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Clinical depression does need more understanding, but I can tell you that
mental health workers are so limited in numbers,  and health care insurance
so restricts the care of the mentally ill that precious little is done of
the victims of CD.  Sad....but true - most mental health dollars are spent
on severe psychosis.  Generally, it is the personal physician who deals with
CD - and as we know, they are poorly prepared for the task.

It is important to remember that vast numbers of folks who suffer with CD
*do not* commit suicide.  Those people are heroes in my book.  To consider
family, friends, and community over one's need to 'escape the pain' gives
special meaning to the word 'sacrifice.'  God bless those people  - and give
them peace in their lives.

A brief response to Chuck's post.  He wrote that people get angry at
suicides and feel guilty for their deaths.  It is important to note that
those emotions are always present in incidences of sudden death - regardless
of the cause.  Whether death be due to  coronaries or suicides, the family
faces guilt and anger as they deal with the loss.  Admittedly, it is more
difficult to come to terms with suicide - but any sudden death leaves
families and friends frozen and helpless.  I know - I've witnessed many
deaths, both protracted and sudden.  Believe me, no matter how painful it
may be to watch someone die slowly, the mourners come to terms with the loss
far more successfully than if the loved one dies suddenly.
-----
Mary Ann Ryan RN (CG Jamie 60/20)