Janet quoted,

there is no such thing as a 'self-made' human
we are made up of thousands of others
everyone who has ever done a kind deed for us
or spoken one word of encouragement to us
has entered into the make-up of our character and of our thoughts

george matthew adams

Well put.  However, I have seen miracles of change by people who have
come to believe they are not victims of a deterministic biology, but
instead have accepted that everyone in their lives have done their best,
that in all things all people are either asking for love or, when they
have grown sufficiently, giving love, and that each of us has the power
to determine our own attitudes, and thus our own peace of mind and
happiness.

I have also witness several friends who achieved no relief through
anti-depressant meds despite years of going from doctor to doctor and
drug to drug.  The strongest common trait these folks seemed to have was
a belief that they were powerless individually, in turn leading to a
complete surrender to their physician(s), vesting in them a control of
and blame for their ongoing mental and physical difficulties.

There is also a group I have known who achieved peace of mind and joyful
living who took responsibility for their own happiness, while also
recognizing that medicine offers a sensible and appropriate assist to
achieving good brain function and emotional stability, without which
personal choice might be nearly impossible to attain.

If I believed that I were  a helpless slave of my brain chemistry and
that my ONLY avenue to a tolerable mental existence lay in my doctor's
pharmacology, suicide would indeed seem an understandable option,

I know this extreme position is not suggested by anything posted on this
topic by Janet or anyone else, but I will go out on a limb with an
opinion that the more personal responsibility one accepts as opposed to
projecting responsibility onto one's HMO, doctor, caregiver, etc., the
greater the potential for achieving worthwhile life.

Chuck