Charles E Murray wrote:

> I've been experiencing increasing swelling of feet and ankles, apparently
> from Requip (agonist).  I have planned a 4 day retreat type outing which
> will be near nine thousand feet in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, and would
> ask if anyone knows how this might affect the edema?  Any feedback would
> be appreciated.

Altitude
Not as a medical pro but as one with over 50 years of hiking,
backpacking, skiing, and climbing BPD (before PD), IMHO a
brief resort vacation at 9000 feet, except for those having
preexisting impairment of heart or lung funtion, is nothing
to worry about. Normal response to less air leads commonly to
faster and deeper breathing and heart pulse. Ill effects
may include headache, nausea, loss of sleep or appetite, and
most important, impaired thinking and judgement. This is why
pilots of unpressurized aircraft are required to use oxygen
above 10,000 feet. Passenger aircraft, BTW, aren't
pressurized to sea level, but only to 5000 feet. For
ordinary activity on the ground, acclimatization takes only
a day or so to restore normal function, and most visitors
have no trouble. In all my experience I've seen only 2 cases
of altitude distress, both at 12,000 feet or so, severe
enough to make descending advisable. I don't know the effect
of PD drugs such as Requip, but wouldn't expect any. Cheers,
Joe