Mary Ann,

I know what you mean about the guilt associated with parents/mother of a
neurologically challenged child. My only grand daughter is high
functioning autistic. My daughter used to ask herself what she had
done/not done to cause this as one * dx* neuro conditions that Samantha
has. It is the most amazing thing though to see her be mainstreamed and
to know that it is nothing that any parent did or did not do and
especially to come to lose the guilt that my daughter bore thinking so
wrongly that the mother is responsible for all the * wrongs* in the
child. It was my psychiatrist/neurologist who said without seeing her *
I don't care what else she has she is autistic* and he is a god to my
daughter no matter what else he is . You know what a family goes through
over time especially when it isnt as obvious a condition as those who
are not verbal yet the violence is apparent and a daily possibility.
Without that Mary Ann, my daughter would not have taken charge of the
life they have and now advocate in our state testifying in legislative
rooms for access and acceptance of challenged children and adults.
Samantha is the first child, now 17, about whom articles have been
written and who has a tape produced by U of WA and U Oregon called *I am
Samantha*, and who goes to national conferences with my daughter and is
well known by professionals in the field where ever she appears. She is
an example of acceptance and one who has made a tremendous difference
for her parents and for all whom she meets. If anyone has had a reason
to be depressed my daughter did, and was, and yet is not cd. This is
what I see as a major difference between cd and situationally caused
depression.

*seattle* Audrey  friend of pwp aussie John  49/42/38
and now of Barb Knight :)) pwp