----- Oorspronkelijk bericht -----
Van: "davidmeigs" <[log in to unmask]>
Aan: <[log in to unmask]>
Verzonden: vrijdag 11 augustus 2000 18:58
Onderwerp: Da Nile - denial & the glass slipper (long)

Hi David,

>> As to why I would doubt if I have PD, there are 2 reasons:
1st :   I am still pretty new and am in "learning overload" about PD.  My
first few docs I talked to about my changing health looked at me like I had
two heads. <<

THEY probably need new glasses!!    :)))

>> Since then I have had 3 verdicts that have indicated that it is "All in
my
head".  My gp, and neuro, then finally a MDS.   My gp's lack of feed back to
me sent me to the web to find answers for myself (May or June).  When the
neuro found out that I had been studying about PD, he no longer treated me
with respect.  He sent me to the MDS, along with his "view of my cause for
symptoms".  The neuro is a QUACK, but the MDS is not.  The MDS said that I
do not have ALL the symptoms, and probably "imagined" the symptoms into
reality. <<

Since most of your symptoms are (from the MDS's point of view) not very
clearly PD, it is difficult for him to  diagnose you with PD. So he asks a
(even more) experienced neuro for a second opinion. That seems a good idea,
since you yourself are still doubting if it is PD too (might be denial). The
subjective feeling of a disease felt by the patient is much stronger than
the objective things the doc can see from the outside. And in your case
STRESS obviously is a factor that has a big influence on you, the MDS not
only notices the PD-like symptoms, but also strong stress-reactions, that
MAY be PD, but also can be caused by many other (neurological) diseases. And
some neuro's have a tendency to think that patients that are very occupied
in gathering info about their disease, no matter how positive the patient is
in general, are hypochondriacs.

>> Now when I get stressed I get REALLY bad. <<

Positive and negative stress both exacerbate PD symptoms very much. The
uncertainty of the diagnose is a strong stressfactor. That is why some
patients are very "happy" when they are finally diagnosed with PD.  Once the
diagnose is more certain your symptoms might get less strong again.

Hans.